Saturday, April 27, 2013

Singing, Dancing and Playing


 Let me tell you, learning a new language is fun but difficult! Its funny how the Spanish I learned in HS and college but haven't used since, seems to come super easy to me now!  I mix in Spanish words by accident at least twice every day! We are learning a lot, though I have been feeling like I can't wait to fluently speak Chichewa! Conversation in Chichewa is impossible for us at this point, though we are capable of basic communication. Last week, we flew a kite and drew a large group of children spectators. I was so filled up after this adventure. Our girls were super happy with the adventure, the other children were full of smiles and to my surprise and excitement, I was able to communicate with the children! It got me thinking about how wonderful it would be to work more closely with the children of St John's parish and outstations.

Saturday came and we went to the church for Lily's dancing girls practice. In case I haven't explained it well in previous posts, a group of girls participate and add beauty to the liturgy through dancing. They sing with the choir as they dance, and have such an amazing presence they bring to the Mass. Lilyanna was told about young girls dancing as part of most African Masses by a few Comboni Missionary Priests while we were in IL for our formation training. She grew excited and curious early on about the dancing and planned to join as soon as she was able.

On this particular day, Lily was a bit apprehensive at first to participate as she missed the prior weeks practice because she had a fever. But once Elizabeth, the dancing girls teacher, approached her and invited her to participate, she had a blast! I have posted a video on UTube to give you a flavor of the practice (video of Lily practicing with the dancing girls). While Lily was practicing, I picked up some litter in the area, took some pictures and attempted to have small conversations (mainly greetings) in Chichewa to those passing by. It hit me that it was going to be quite some time before I would be able to really hold a conversation in Chichewa!

This week there is a group of 31 couples attending a retreat, they will all be married in the church on Saturday! I believe most of these couples live in the villages where the outstations are located, but I'm not positive. Many of the couples have children, so this week there are tons of extra small children around! I don't know the details but it sounds like its common, especially in the villages to simply have a child together and begin living together. Which explains why there will be 31 weddings this weekend, yet there are already several children who belong to the retreat candidates. The couples go through a process with the catechist leader, Fr John Paul, Brother Patrick and a handful of others before being accepted to participate in the marriage preparation which leads to marriage in the church. Its been pretty neat to hear the songs they have sung together (we live on the church property, so we get to see and hear a lot of what is happening). I'm not sure if we'll attend the weddings, we're told is an extremely lengthy process and we have another commitment on Saturday. Either way, I'm proud of these couples for their efforts, they have been staying at the church, in various meeting halls, sleeping on straw mats since Monday. They all seem very happy and thankful to be here!

We had an hour before dinner would be ready the other evening and decided to take a walk. There was a soccer game taking place in the field next to the church, kids playing and adults conversing as it was late in the afternoon. Did I mention the weather is absolutely beautiful here? Since we arrived, its been quite decent. (We'll come back the weather later) Josie started noticed the small children would copy her, so she began dancing, then marching and twirling. She loved every minute of it and as she continued, the crowd of children continued to grow! We began singing "Head, shoulders, knees and toes", one of Josie's current favorites. Again, despite the small children not knowing English, they began to follow along! We had a blast! Shortly after we started, a woman approached me and asked if I would teach her. I was a little caught off guard as Its one thing to perform for the kiddos, but I tend to get a bit shy about being goofy for the adults! She explained (in English) that she wanted me to come to her village and teach the preschool aged children songs. I told her it would be a while before I could speak Chichewa well enough to teach. She quickly corrected me and said, "no, in English! Like the ABC's and simple kids songs." We continued in small conversation, singing and dancing with the kids and then had to return home for dinner.

The comment she made got me thinking about if I would even know enough kids songs to be able to
offer anything? So I began jotting down the names of songs I know that have actions (the kids LOVE action songs). Before I knew it, I had 30 preschool-aged Christian songs, most with actions! The girls and I sing all the time. No, I don't consider myself to be a great singer but I absolutely love music, both listening and singing along! (Oh how I miss Kathy S and the St. Ann's Angels, I mean choir!) I have no idea at this point if my ministry will involve singing with the village children in English, but I sure can tell you this small conversation got me super excited!

Please continue to pray for us, especially as we begin to try to find our place, where we can be of service to the Malawian's of St John the Baptist parish and its four outstations. We're taught and reminded to be patient, that if we listen and learn, the areas where we can best serve will eventually be revealed to us. This isn't the easiest thing for Jacob and I as we are used to jumping in wherever help is needed. I admit, I never would have imagined there could possibly be a need for the young children to learn basic English. I was told they are taught English in school, so having exposure is very helpful for them. Again, something I never knew and never imagined could be a way I may be able to possibly offer my time and talents. I won't get ahead of myself, instead I ask you to pray for Jacob and I as we continue to learn the culture and language. Pray for us to listen, hear, observe and not assume. I believe God will lead us, after all, he has to this point!

Peace and Love,
Tonya, Jacob, Lily & Josie

4 comments:

  1. Great to see you. Miss you.

    Emma and Hayley

























    g

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see our comment was published as "Anonymous". I wanted to followup that it was from us in case you didn't know. Emma and Hayley were having a playdate this afternoon so when I learned of your update, we all had to read/look.

    You're right that you'd never have guessed that 'Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes' could be so telling even halfway around the world. We never know, do we?

    Speaking of songs...there is a song that always reminds me of Lily--the girls were singing it in the backseat once so I think of her (and all of you) every time I hear it now. "All I know is I'm not home yet. Take this world and give it to Jesus..."

    Until next time....Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tonya,
    --- It's Fran from the NAP Office in Cincinnati. Could you post a few pis of y'all teaching 'head, shoulders knees and toes' to the local kids? That would be great!

    Thanks for sharing your stories and adventures. God bless. You're in our prayers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lilyanna, Your dancing was amazing. I am able to visit Africa by reading your family blog. God bless you and your family. I am so jealous of your experiences!!!
    K. Krajniak

    ReplyDelete